IB DIPLOMA PROGRAMME AT EISB BANGALORE
The IB Diploma Programme (DP) is a rigorous two-year course of study, which meets the needs of highly motivated and academically oriented secondary Students , it is an academically challenging and balanced programme of education with final examinations that prepares students, aged 16 to 19, for success at university and life beyond. It has been designed to address the intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being of students. The programme, has gained recognition and respect from the world’s leading universities.
The Diploma Programme prepares students for effective participation in a rapidly evolving and increasingly global society as they:
- Develop physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically
- Acquire breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding, studying courses from 6 subject groups
- Develop the skills and a positive attitude toward learning that will prepare them for higher education
- Study at least two languages and increase understanding of cultures, including their own
- Make connections across traditional academic disciplines and explore the nature of knowledge through the programme’s unique theory of knowledge course
- Undertake in-depth research into an area of interest through the lens of one or more academic disciplines in the extended essay
- Enhance their personal and interpersonal development through creativity, activity and service
To qualify for, and continue in the Diploma Programme at EISB -Bangalore, students must meet the entrance requirements .
The Full Diploma Programme
The DP curriculum is made up of six subject groups and the DP core, comprising Theory Of Knowledge (TOK),
Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) and the Extended Essay.Students may take either: two subjects at standard level (SL) and four subjects at higher level (HL) or three subjects at SL and three subjects at HL.
IB Diploma Programme students must choose one subject from each of groups 1 to 5; and a second subject from groups 1 to 4. All course offerings are dependent upon availability. Apart from this Students must complete all aspects of the Diploma Programme Core: the Extended Essay, CAS and the Theory of Knowledge course.
The Core Elements:
Theory of Knowledge (TOK) The interdisciplinary theory of knowledge course is designed to provide coherence by exploring the nature of knowledge across disciplines, encouraging an appreciation of other perspectives.
Extended Essay (EE) The extended essay has a prescribed limit of 4,000 words. It offers the op
portunity to investigate a topic of individual interest, and acquaints students with the independent research and writing skills expected at university.
Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) Participation in the CAS programme encourages candidates to be involved in artistic pursuits, sports, and community service work. The programme fosters students’ awareness and appreciation of life beyond the academic arena.
- At the end of the two-year programme, candidates are assessed both internally and externally in ways that measure individual performance against stated curriculum and assessment objectives for
The Diploma Courses Programme
IB Diploma Courses Programme students can choose one subject from each of groups 1 to 5 with minimum 3 subjects. Course Students can be registered and assessed for TOK and/or an extended essay .Course Students can also pursue the CAS requirement of the Diploma Programme and will have this requirement shown on their Course results if the CAS element is completed.
Subjects offered at EISB
At EISB all courses are offered at the Standard Level (SL) and Higher Level (HL) except for Group2 and Environmental Systems and Societies offered as SL
Group 1: Studies in Language and Literature : English Language & Literature, HL and SL, Hindi Lang A HL and SL , Mother tongue SL only (Dutch, Spanish, Japanese, and Korean) arranged as Self Study, based on need.
Group 2: Language Acquisition : Hindi B SL, French B ab initio SL, Spanish B ab initio SL, English B SL
Group 3: Individuals and Societies : Economics HL and SL , Business Management HL and SL, *Environmental systems and societies , SL
Group 4: Sciences- Biology HL and SL : Chemistry HL and SL, Physics HL and SL, Computer Science HL and SL , *Environmental systems and societies SL
Group 5: Mathematics – Mathematics SL , Mathematics HL
For further information about the IB Diploma, see http://www.ibo.org/diploma